As mandated in the most recent rate approval, the Grand Bahama Power Company (GBPC) has received approval from the Grand Bahama Port Authority (GBPA) to begin the Renewable Energy Rider (RER) Pilot program. The RER, which is the first in The Bahamas, will allow residents on Grand Bahama the opportunity to sell the energy they produce using renewable sources to the utility.
The approved details of the Renewable Energy Rider are as follows:
- All systems must be installed by a licensed electrician and approved by GBPC & GBPA, this ensures that the systems are properly installed and adhere to safety standards.
- The maximum allowed capacity for Renewable Generation Systems for Grand Bahama will be 3 MW, this is subject to an annual review by GBPA to determine if an adjustment if necessary.
- Individual customer installations will be limited to a maximum of 1.5 times the estimated load for each location. This would limit customers to installations that would serve their needs but limit the size in order to get as much participation as possible given the capacity limit.
- This Rider will be made available to all residential and commercial customers.
- GBPC will bill the Customer at the normal electricity rates for their particular category based on all the energy consumed.
- Regardless of whether it is derived from solar PV, wind, or other means, under the RER, the Customer will receive a credit on their bill for all the electricity generated at the RER credit rate.
- The approved Renewable Energy Rider Credit rate is 1.1 times the fuel charge.
- With the fuel charge averaging 9.5 cents per kWh, the current rate for the RER is approximately 10.5 cents per kWh.
- The Renewable Energy Rider Credit is subject to periodic review by GBPA during the Pilot program.
- Customers wishing to install renewable generation systems are required to have liability insurance.
GBPC advises customers to become familiar with rule and regulations, the RER customer agreement and technical specifications prior to applying for the RER.
Customers wishing to apply for the RER can download all necessary documents below.
Renewable Energy Rider Agreement (PDF)
RER Application (PDF)
Rules and regs for RGS (PDF)